Bone Densitometry: Patient Information
- An appointment is required to book the test.
- Patient must bring their requisition and health card
- If you are pregnant or suspect you may be, please inform the receptionist or technologist immediately and the examination will be postponed.
- If you are late for your appointment you will be rebooked.
What do I need to do to prepare?
- Please do not take any calcium supplements the day of the study.
- If you have had DYE INJECTED, NUCLEAR MEDICINE or BARIUM TESTS in the past two (2) weeks, please reschedule your appointment.
- We will also ask you to remove any naval rings before the examination.
You will be asked to fill out a questionnaire prior to the examination pertinent to the study.
The examination consists of the patient lying on a padded table with a device that travels the length of the area being imaged. The technologist will scan both your lumbar spine, hip and in some circumstances the forearm. Patients exceeding 300 lbs. cannot have their lumbar spine or hip performed due to table restrictions. In this situation, our machines are able to perform a bone density study of the forearm.
This procedure lasts for approximately 30 minutes. Our Radiologist will read the test and a report will be sent to your physician (s).
There are no after effects. The patient can resume their daily routine.